To nourish your mind as well as your body

Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.

-Mahatma Gandhi

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Bald Cardamom Cupcakes


I made these for a lovely tea party I was invited to, hosted by my dear friend Abby Wilde. There were five different tea pots, tea sandwiches, and a whole host of brilliant, wonderful women. Abby asked me to bring some vegan treats and the recipe for these were specially requested by everyone there.

So, for everyone who asked, here's how to make those yummy cakes! The first batch I made was incredibly lazy, so I went and worked out a gluten-free alternative for those of you who like those sorts of things as much as I do.

Vegan Cardamom Cupcakes
(makes 12)

3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tbsp corn starch
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp celtic sea salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 cup flaxseed or almond milk (I used the flaxseed, but almond would be just as good. Soy would be okay, too. Avoid rice milk. You want a milk alternative that isn't too watery.)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup plain applesauce
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
3/4 cup agave nectar

Set oven to 350 F and line muffin tin with cupcake papers.

Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl. Then add milk, applesauce, agave nectar, vanilla extract and almond extract, and apple cider vinegar. Fill each of the paper liners to about two third's full.

Bake for 20-25 minutes. Stick a toothpick in and make sure it comes out clean. Allow to cool and then enjoy heartily!

Gluten-Free Vegan Cardamom Cupcakes
(makes 12)

1/3 cup almond flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup quinoa flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp celtic sea salt
3/4 cup agave nectar
1/3 cup applesauce
1 cup flaxseed or almond milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract

Set oven to 350 F and line muffin tin with cupcake papers.

Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl. Then add milk, applesauce, agave nectar, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Fill each of the paper liners to about two third's full.

Bake for 23-27 minutes. Stick a toothpick in and make sure it comes out clean. Allow to cool and then enjoy heartily!

Go on! Have a peace!

4 comments:

  1. This cake takes the cake! Having been at this legendary tea party I must say that one of the best parts of it was watching a person's face the first time she bit into one of these. I'm not joking when I say this cake could win medals. The world thanks you, Danielle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, now I'm wanting to have a tea party of my very own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this website it's a master piece! Glad I found this on google.
    Gerberian Shepsky
    Shepsky

    ReplyDelete