To nourish your mind as well as your body

Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.

-Mahatma Gandhi

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Part 3: Return of the Fortune Cookies!





"God, I think I've got 'em, I think I've got 'em! 




Such yummy cookies all the time! 





What's coming next ? What's happening now? 
Still it isn't over; I've gotta imagine what she wants! 
It isn't over; I've gotta imagine what she does... 

God, I hope I've got 'em, I hope I've got 'em! 
I've come this far, but even so: 
It could be yes; it could be no. 
How many cookies does she...?

I really need this fortune- 
Please, God, I need this fortune- 
I've got to get this cookie! 
I have to get it just right! 
I knew I had it, from the start..." 


-from "A Cookie Line" 
[All my musical nerds will get this joke... I think...]

So. Part Three of the Fortune Cookie Escapades. Usually, my second trial of a new baking recipe goes smoothly and wonderfully and I never have to change it again until I feel like it. But fortune cookies are hard, can I just say? Especially when I don't have any special tools for 'em. 

However, nevertheless, I think the impossible has been accomplished!

Here is the final (I think) and accurate (I hope) fortune cookie recipe as it was completed this evening. 

Super Fortunate Ginger Fortune Cookies
(Makes ~24 cookies)

3 egg whites
3/4 cups organic powdered sugar
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1/2 tsp pure vanilla
1/2 tsp chopped ginger
8 tbsp whole wheat flour, sifted

Preheat oven to 350 F. 
Mix the egg whites, powdered sugar, coconut oil, vanilla, and ginger together in a large bowl with a handheld mixer on low. Slowly add the sifted flour. Grab a small spatula and make sure you've gotten any excess flour that sprayed onto the sides of the bowl; stir. 

Spoon 2 teaspoons of the batter onto a parchment paper covered cookie sheet and spread it out in a very thin, wide circle, using a flat knife. You're only going to want to put a maximum of 4 (2 or 3 is better) cookies per sheet at a time. 



Place in the preheated oven, on the second to top rack, for ~6 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown.

Now you have to move very fast! Put on a pair of *thin* cotton gloves to protect your fingers. Remove the tray from the oven quickly (but carefully!) and immediately:
1) flip each cookie over using a small flat knife (not the same one you spread with)
2) place a fortune on top of each flipped cookie, perpendicular to the direction of the wrinkles in the baked dough
3) fold each cookie in half over the fortune and then fold them back together into usual fortune cookie shape, pinching the top to hold it in shape
4) place each cookie inside a muffin tin to cool



This recipe will make about 24 cookies. You'll want to flip the parchment paper on your cookie sheet every batch and switch it out for a new sheet every third batch. Otherwise, the wrinkles that form from the moisture of the batter on the parchment paper will cause weak spots in your finished baked cookies. 

The cookies will need to cool for 1-2 hours. They harden and crisp as they cool. 

These little guys do not taste like normal fortune cookies. They're a little less sweet and they don't score the inside of your mouth because they're just not that uber hard. The ginger gives them a little zing, but not too much. 



1 comment:

  1. LOL at your riff on A Chorus Line - they should definitely make a musical called A Cookie Line!

    ReplyDelete