To nourish your mind as well as your body

Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.

-Mahatma Gandhi

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Trouble in Paradise

All right. So here's a fun little game for ya'll. I'll call it a foodie-scavenger-hunt. I have hit a little snag - some of the ingredients I want to cook with are just wicked hard to find!

I'm looking for a place in Los Angeles (preferably somewhere around Sherman Oaks/Glendale) where I can locate the following items:
sorghum flour
brown rice flour
xantham gum
millet
tapioca flour

Anyone who tells me where to find one of these items will get something cooked with it. How's that for a deal?

5 comments:

  1. Irene, I know where to get 4 of the 5 by mail order: http://www.bobsredmill.com/sorghum-flour.html
    I live too far for you to cook for me, so just keep up the good work. I am going to go back and read all the archives. The info about the holidays and the way you share the rewrites of recipes is so interesting. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I am too curious about some these ingredients and will have to learn them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the Bob's Red Mill tip. I was trying to find places that don't involve shipping costs, but if that doesn't work out soon I will definitely take your advice and order. The vegan cheesecake I want to make is just too yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...well you know that I don't know what half of this stuff is, let alone where to get it. But I will consult my sources (and by sources I mean my friend Mandy who is allergic to gluten and dairy).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whole Foods doesn't have these items? You could check with the manager and ask them to order you some if they don't.

    ReplyDelete