To nourish your mind as well as your body

Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.

-Mahatma Gandhi

Friday, July 23, 2010

Finger-lickin' Nana Puddin'

My grandmother makes the best banana pudding ever. I mean, EVER. A single bite of it is lasting ambrosia. It is a happy time whenever I get to visit her, period, but the icing on the cake is a delicious batch of banana pudding waiting for me. Now. The trouble is her recipe involves cool whip, which is full of hydrogenated oils and less than ideal not to mention the excess sugars in the pudding and sweetened condensed milk.

So, here's what I did. I made up a new "healthified" banana pudding recipe, which is very tasty in its own right. You may decide for yourself which route you take. Maybe you'll make both and have a tasting party for your tongue. Who knows?

Finger-lickin' Nana Puddin'
(Makes 6-8 servings)

3 super ripe bananas
2 ripe bananas (can be mushy or just ripened), thinly sliced
7.5 oz extra firm tofu
18 oz soft tofu
2 shakes cinnamon
1 heaping tbsp raw honey
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 box vegan vanilla wafers (or non-vegan, if you like - just check the box and make sure you know what everything in it is)

Take the overripe bananas, tofu, cinnamon, honey, almond milk, and vanilla and put all into a food processor or blender. Mix until all creamy and smooth.


Next take a bowl (tupperware or glass) and set a layer of wafers in the bottom.



Spoon in some of the blended mixture over top then layer in more wafers and banana slices.



Repeat until you have used up all the banana slices and the blended mixture.



Add one last layer of wafers on top and put into the fridge to set. Should be ready to eat in about an hour.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I hope YOU enjoyed... you lucky girl...

    When are we hanging out again, anyways?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delicious. I refuse to give up my Nabisco Vanilla wafers but I may just try the tofu, just to see. I am curious to see if the honey gives enough sweetness.

    ReplyDelete